Just Thinking

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A Matter of Perspective

I don't like the high gas prices any more than the next guy. It's crazy. I can already tell my kids things like, "I remember when I only had to pay 99 cents for a gallon of gas." The other day our Dodge Caravan was getting pretty low on fuel. I pulled into a gas station and was pleased to find the price at $3.11. Imagine being pleased with $3.11. Since everywhere else was $3.19 or higher I was pleased. Anyway, my little minivan took $60.00 to fill. OUCH!! But when you stop to think about it, the prices for gasoline are about right on for the day that we live in. I know the drastic change in such a short time has us reeling, but considering the cost of living increase over the last 20 years gasoline is about right where it should be. As a kid I remember hearing missionaries telling of high gas prices in other countries. Twenty years ago a gallon of gas in many countries was well over $2.00. Like I said, I don't like the high gas prices but this is day we live in and we better learn to adjust. Along this line, I was visiting a parishoner in the Hershey Medical Center the other day. In the main lobby of the hospital is a Starbucks Coffee shop. I don't drink coffee and only drink cappocino on occasion so I didn't stop. But while walking by I glanced at the menu board. Frappocino (whatever that is) $4.00 cup! There were other items that were priced higher but that was one that caught my eye. I don't know how big those cups of coffee are, maybe 12 or 16 ounces. But there were people in line to buy this stuff. It made me think of a quote I heard on the radio earlier this summer. "We whine about spending $2.00 for a gallon of gas but will wait in line at Starbucks to pay $5.00 for a cup of coffee." I think it's a matter of perspective.
posted by Aaron at 11:29 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home