Just Thinking

Monday, September 18, 2006

Last week was the National Quartet Convention in Louisville, KY. I am a fan of Southern Gospel Music and would like to sometime be able to attend the NQC. Keith Waggoner listed winners of the fan awards on his blog. But at the NQC there are also Gospel Bluegrass awards which is held seperately from the main awards. I love gospel bluegrass music. Not everybody has that same appreciation and I understand that. But I love groups like The Isaacs, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, NewFound Road, and of course The Primitive Quartet. Jeff Tolbert, who is producing my album and playing several instruments on it, travels with the Primitive Quartet. I talked to him one day last week while he was at the NQC. Jeff was awarded the Gospel Bluegrass instrumentalist of the year. Let me tell you, he is good and what a privilege to have him play on my CD. The Primitives also had the Gospel Bluegrass song of the year.
posted by Aaron at 8:16 AM

5 Comments:

I like bluegrass Gospel also. My twin, mother, and a good friend, Dan Ison get together once in awhile and sing some of the Isaacs, Doyle Lawson's songs...would like a copy of your cd once it's finished. I'm Tim Calhouns sister/in/law btw, up in Alaska :)

4:52 PM  

Hey,it's great to hear from you. That kind of music is good stuff. If you ever get the chance check out NewFound Road. They are a good group. My sympathies for being related to Tim.

11:30 PM  

Cool, I'll check it out. Can never hear too much :) When will yours be done?

9:28 PM  

It wont be until the end of October until I can get back into the studio to do the vocals. Hopefully the whole thing will be done before Christmas if not sooner.

11:59 AM  

Derek, thanks for stopping by. It was nice to hear from you. I don't know of any websites for the NQC. Yes, Jeff Tolbert is truly a gifted singer and musician. A great guy to be around as well. The guys from NewFound Road are great as well. Had the privilege to meet them and talk for a while to their mandolin player, Rob Baker. They have a nice smooth sound. Stop by again.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home