Just Thinking

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Off To A Good Start

Those of you who have read my blog for quite a while might remember the groundhog count from last summer. I am fortunate enough to live in an area with large fields behind my house. These fields host quite a number of the furry critters. Well, today groundhog season officially opened for me. I could have started a few weeks ago but decided to give them a little time to settle in to their spring routine. Yesterday I bought some shells for my Remington model 700 in the 204 Ruger caliber and got to work on the whistlepigs today. The official count is 2 but I injured another. He successfully made it to his burrow but left some blood behind to prove I hit him (come on give me a break I haven't shot that gun since last year, the wind was blowing, it was a 240 yard shot, and whatever other excuse you can think of). The first one I killed was at about 200 yards and the second only about 75. I'll keep you posted on how things go. If anyone is interested in some groundhogs for stew just let me know. And no I haven't tried eating it yet.
posted by Aaron at 6:39 PM

4 Comments:

sweet! I would put an order for let's see - about 4 fresh ground hogs. let me know when would send them, and i'll be looking out for the package. :-) My Dad is asking for animals for Father's Day and this would be perfect! :-)Have a Great day!!

10:24 AM  

What a redneck... :-)

3:08 PM  

BTW....my last comment was not meant as an insult....

11:49 AM  

No offense taken. I admit the groundhog count is a bit "hickish" but oh well I enjoy shooting them and the farmers are grateful as well.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home